

WINNIPEG: It’s official. Ex-B.C. Lions Doug Flutie and Darren Flutie aren’t just brothers, they’re now bookends.
Quarterback Doug was voted the best player in Canadian Football League history in the TSN-sponsored Top 50 Players poll announced Friday. Brother Darren, a receiver, was ranked 50th.
“That’s special to us, even though we only had the opportunity to play eight games together,” Doug Flutie said.
The three-time Grey Cup MVP began an eight-year career in Canada with the B.C. Lions in 1990. He saw greater success with the Calgary Stampeders and Toronto Argonauts.
“My first reaction was, after a month or so of the (1990) season, I’m going to play a couple of seasons then get the heck out and go back,” Flutie told 24 hours. He changed his mind when quarterback-friendly head coach Bob O’Billovich was hired.
“Then I didn’t care to go back.”
Flutie said he should’ve spent his whole career in the CFL. “It was so fun to play.”
Saskatchewan Roughriders’ legendary running back George Reed was second, followed by the late Jackie Parker. Parker ended his career in 1968 as a B.C. quarterback.
Lui Passaglia was voted the top toe. The three-time Grey Cup winning kicker/punter was ranked 30th.
“Not bad for a kid who just wanted to be part of a local team that I idolized when I grew up,” Passaglia said. “I thought making the team in 1976 was going to be the greatest thing in the world.”
B.C. Lions on the TSN Top 50 CFL Players list: QB Doug Flutie (1), QB Jackie Parker (3), QB Damon Allen (14), LB Willie Pless (16), DL/LB James Parker (21), DB Less Browne (23), K/P Lui Passaglia (30), DB Larry Highbaugh (38), QB Matt Dunigan (39), WR Mervyn Fernandez (42), DL Bill Baker (43), OL Bill Frank (49), WR Darren Flutie (50).
--Bob Mackin
No comments:
Post a Comment