WINNIPEG: The Grey Cup was broken as offensive guard Kelly Bates celebrated. It’ll get fixed, his name will be engraved and so will his teammates.
“I was probably so excited to see it, shaking it up and down and kissing it, it broke,” Bates said. “Regardless, it’s a memory I’ll have the rest of my life. Amazing!”
Flashback to 1979 when the North American Soccer League Vancouver Whitecaps won their only Soccer Bowl against the Tampa Bay Rowdies in New Jersey. That trophy, too, separated from its base. That’s how it was paraded around Vancouver a day later.
Lions arrive Monday at 2 p.m. at Vancouver International Airport’s south terminal via a charter flight from Winnipeg. Unless the trophy can get repaired Monday morning, that’s how it’ll show up in Vancouver.
All Vancouverites are welcome to a noon to 2 p.m. celebration at the Vancouver Art Gallery on Tuesday.
It’s the Lions’ fifth Grey Cup championship and first since 2000 when they also beat Anthony Calvillo and the Montreal Alouettes.
Lions’ defensive back Barron Miles, who played six seasons for Montreal, leaves Dec. 5 for Hawaii. His travel buddy is Calvillo and he admits he’ll be the one buying meals.
“By the time I get out there I’ll be calmed down,” Miles said. “I’ll probably see him tonight.”
Miles admitted players did feel the bite of the sub-zero cold during long drives, but “it’s the Grey Cup, how are you going to feel the cold?”
--Bob Mackin
Sunday, November 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment